The Everett Trojans won their 2nd Regional Championship of the school year (the other was men's basketball), when the EvCC Baseball team won 2 of 4 games against rival Edmonds CC this past weekend. The Trojans entered the weekend with a 3 game lead over Edmonds in the North Region Standings for first place. That meant that Everett needed to win 2 of the 4 game series to clinch the program's 5th North Region Championship in the last 8 years, and the first for 2nd-year head coach JoJo Howie (Coach Howie won two North Region Championships, and an NWAC Championship as a player in 2012 and 2013).
Games 1 and 2 of the series were played on a beautiful Friday afternoon at Edmonds Community College and the Trojans looked ready to take care of business as they routed the Tritons 12-2 in 8 innings. On the ropes and with still a possibility of winning three straight to take the North Region Championship themselves, Edmonds responded in Game 2 with an 11-5 win, setting up an epic conclusion to the 2019 regular season.
Game 1 Highlights, 12-2 Win
- Sam Linscott, 2-4 with 2 RBI's
- Austin Hauck, 2-4, with a solo home run and scoring 2 runs
- Kyle Rodrigues, 1-4 with a solo home run
- Kenny McCormick, 3-4 with a double and a solo home run
- Brian Pino, 2-3 and scored 2 runs
- Mitch Albin, 3-4 and drove in 5 RBI's (tied for the most in a single game this season)
- Brycen Allen pitched 6.0 innings giving up 6 hits and 2 earned runs, striking out 2
Game 2 Highlights, 11-5 Loss
- Charlie Larson, 2-4 and scored a run
- Sam Linscott, 1-5 with a two run home run
- Austin Hauck, 3-5 with a double
- Mitch Albin, 2-4
- Nolan Smith, 2 for 3 with two RBI's and a double
Games 3 and 4 of the series were played on Mother's day at Everett Memorial Stadium, and the Trojans wanted nothing more than to deliver a North Region Championship to all the mom's in attendance. The first game of the day proved to be a battle of will, going scoreless into the bottom of the 5th inning. Everett cracked the run column, when Austin Hauck ripped a ball down the third baseline scoring runners from 2nd and 3rd to take a 2-0 lead with 2 outs. Then moments later Hauck advanced to third on a passed ball and eventually came home to scored when the pitcher balked. The 3 runs would be enough to stave off an Edmonds surge in the 8th inning that scored 2 runs, to hold on for the 3-2 win and clinching of the North Region Championship.
Game 3 Highlights, 3-2 Win
- Charlie Larson, 2-4 with 2 RBI's and a run scored
- Takeshi Kubota, 2-2 with a run scored
- Zach Boswell, 6.2 innings pitched giving up 2 hits, no runs, and striking out 6
- Gabe Smith, 2 innings pitched, no hits, no runs, struck out one and earned the save (5th on the year)
Game 4 Highlights, 6-1 Loss
- Takeshi Kubota, 2-4
- Marcus McCannel, 1-3 with a run scored
- Nolan Smith, 1-3 with an RBI double
- Brian Pino pitched 3 shutout innings, giving up 1 hit and struck out 4
The Trojans will get an automatic bid the final 8 teams in Longview, WA, a double elimination tournament taking place May 23-27. Everett will play their first game on May 23rd at 4:45pm against a team yet to be determined. For more information on the NWAC Championship Tournament click here.